How can I dispute a signed admission that I violated company policy?

UPDATED: Aug 22, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 22, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I dispute a signed admission that I violated company policy?

I wrote and signed a statement stating I violated company policy when I used my rewards card on a purchase I made in my name for my sister who lives in another state. At the time I made the statement I was pressured into wording the statement saying I knowingly violated company policy by a company supervisor, after my first statement was not what he thought it should say.

Asked on August 22, 2011 Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You might not be able to dispute this or retract or disclaim it, unless you can show one of the following:

1) You were physically coerced or threatened into doing it, or otherwise coerced by some wrongful act which is inherently illegal; or

2) What you signed was not what the statement is (e.g. they somehow transferred your signature to a different page)

If, on the other hand, you were merely "pressured" to sign, that does not enable you to retract the written statement or disclaim it. The law assumes that competent adults can stand up  to "pressure" and doesn't have to sign just because someone wants them to. Similarly, not understanding what you signed would not help you after the fact, because hou are obligated to make sure you understand what you are signing before signing it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption