How can a minor report identity theft?

UPDATED: Jul 20, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 20, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can a minor report identity theft?

I am a librarian for the City of Commerce. A 17 year-old patron came in and stated that he was unable to open a savings account because of a bad credit report. He stated that the report showed that he was delinquent on a loan payment which he had never applied for. He called the credit reporting agency and they would not give him any information because he is a minor nor would they provide information to his parents because they are not legal citizens. He stated that he also called the loan company and had the same results. What does he need to do to get this resolved?

Asked on July 20, 2010 under Bankruptcy Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

The poor kid.  It is true that because he is a minor he will need to have someone act on his behalf.  If his parents are in a situation that they can not do so then they need to hire someone to help him.  Even if it is legal aid or legal services of some sort he has to go and get help.  Have them try a local bar association and see if there is a pro bono division for credit counseling or credit fraud.  The credit reporting agency is hiding behind the citizen status of his parents.  I can not imagine that they even asked such a a question and that it is legal to do so but now they have it written in their record and future efforts are futile.  Have them be very cautious of these credit repair agencies that offer to help. They can rip you off.  You can check on the website for the attorney general's office to see if there are agencies listed that can help.  Good luck to him.  And you for trying to help.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption