How to take over ownership of co-owned property?

UPDATED: Jun 23, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 23, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to take over ownership of co-owned property?

A house was left to 3 daughters and their mother. The mother owns half and the 3 daughters own the other half. How would 1 daughter who has paid the house payments (which is now about paid off) get ownership of the house?

Asked on June 23, 2013 under Estate Planning, North Carolina


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

The remaining beneficiaries would need to quit claim their interests to this property to her. Simply put if she has been paying the house payments and the others realize that she is living there or will be the primary resident, then either they must give their equal contribution to her of the house payments or quit claim to her.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption