What to do if a hospital took me in while I was intoxicated and is nowcharging me over $800?

UPDATED: May 20, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 20, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if a hospital took me in while I was intoxicated and is nowcharging me over $800?

They got me to sign the consent form after I left but I was still not feeling well and wasn’t in a right state of mind so I wasn’t even sure of what I was signing at the time. Can I sue them or at least get them to drop the bill?

Asked on May 20, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Maryland


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, you can probably be held liable for the bill, unless your intoxication was fully involuntary (e.g. someone drugged you without your knowledge or consent). The law does not recognized voluntary intoxication--e.g. getting drunk--as grounds to escape legal or contractual obligations; the fact that you chose to get drunk is seem as providing justification for holding you liable for your acts while drunk (you chose to get drunk, so you accepted the consequences thereof).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption