What to do if I got a phone call threatening to send a subpoena from a cash advance scam?

UPDATED: Nov 2, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 2, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I got a phone call threatening to send a subpoena from a cash advance scam?

I applied for a cash advance loan on-line. The website said I got denied. A few days later I had $200 in my bank account. I never agreed to anything. I called the company and had them take the money out in the next few business days. And they did. A few weeks later they call me saying they are sending a subpoena to my house under failure to pay and their blocking my social security number and drivers license and sending an investigation crew to my work. Is this legal?

Asked on November 2, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you are getting threatening calls and notices from a debt collection company, the conduct could be in violation of state and federal law for unfair debt collection practices. I would consult with a debt collection attorney about this $200 issue as well as your county's distirct attorney's office.

From what you have written, you sound as though you are being set up for some collection scam that is illegal. I would change your bank account number immediately since they have the number and access to it. It could very well be drained by the debt collection company.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption