What can I do if my car was damaged by a tow company?

UPDATED: Dec 22, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 22, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if my car was damaged by a tow company?

I got into an auto accident due to icy road conditions where I slid off the road and hit a stop sign. The police called a towing company that caused further damage to my car by digging the metal edge of their moving truck bed into my door. Now they’re wanting more than a thousand dollars. Is their anything that I can do to negotiate the cost down.

Asked on December 22, 2014 under Accident Law, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you sue--or initially threaten to sue--the towing company for the cost to repair your damaged door: when someone damages your property through carelessness, they are liable, or financially responsible, for the damage. The cost to repair your door should be an offset against any amounts you owe them. If they won't provide that offset, you could go head and file the lawsuit (such as in small claims court, acting as your own attorney to save legal fees).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption