former landlord sending a bill for remodeling the apartment.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

former landlord sending a bill for remodeling the apartment.

My sister just moved out of an apartment and received a bill by certified letter

for $1400 over keeping the 4XX deposit. The said 9 tiles were cracked from

the bed rolling over them. They put in new carpet over the tiles after she

moved. Does she have to pay this?

Asked on July 27, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Missouri


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

She only has to pay if 1) she (or family members, guests, etc.) caused the damage, and 2) the cost is the actual reasonable cost to repair. If she believes that she is being overbilled for damage to the unit--or that the damage did not occur; or that if the damge occured, she, etc. did not cause it--she could refuse to pay and force the landlord to sue her; the landlord would have to file a lawsuit and prove in court that she caused the damage and the extent of it to recover money from her. Indeed, if she believes she did not even do damage (or otherwise owe the landlord money) in an amount equalling or exceeding the deposit, she could sue the landlord for the return of any part of the deposit she believes is due her, and the landlored would have to establish your sister's fault in causing the damage and the extent/cost of the damage in court to retain the deposit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption