first dui in washington state

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

first dui in washington state

I’m 48 y.o. and recently got a DUI. It’s my 1 st offence. I blew a .096 and a .093. What are the consequences between just pleady guilty as opposed to hiring a lawyer?

Asked on June 3, 2009 under Criminal Law, Washington


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 14 years ago | Contributor


Criminal penalties for a first DUI Offense and breath test under .15%:

One day in jail minimum, one year maximum or 15 days Electronic Home Detection

$823 total minimum fine, up to $5,000 fine

90 day license suspension

SR-22 Proof of Insurance

Alcohol evaluation and treatment as determined by the court (up to two years)

Ignition interlock may be ordered by the court (Min. time not specified) up to 5 years

Up to five years monitored probation

Probationary license for 5 years after reinstatement

Probation monitoring (and fees) for up to five years

DMV penalties for a first offense with a breath test .08 or higher:

90 day license suspension. 

License is marked for 60 days.

30 days to request hearing

$100 hearing fee unless indigent

Hearing within 60 days of arrest

$150 reissue fee

SR-22 Insurance required 3 years thereafter

Occupational/Restricted License is available after 30 days

I would definitely hire an attorney, preferably one that specializes in DUI.  This area of the law is very technical and a well-versed lawyer might be able to get the charge thrown out for any number of reasons.  If not he/she could possibly have the charge reduced or could, at the very least, fight for you to have the minimum penalties imposed where the court has the discretion to do so.  Don't forget, this will leave you with a criminal record if convicted.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption