Do I have any legal recourse if I was fired without notice?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have any legal recourse if I was fired without notice?

I worked for a company in sales owned by 1 man. When I went to work Monday he said I was let go and shut down my computer. He did say I would get of sales until July 18. When I inquired about sales made He said the invoices haven’t cleared so I won’t get paid. This would be about $2000.

Asked on July 9, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, New York


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Unless you had an employment contract or union agreement that provided you receive notice before being terminated, you were not entitled to any. The fact is that a worker can be fired for any reason or no reason at all, with or without notice. As for your commissions, thawould depend on the terms of your commission agreemnt. If it was for sales completed and cleared and not just or those that were initiated, then you were not entitled to any compensation. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption