Final paycheck lost in the mail and former employer wont reissue it.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Final paycheck lost in the mail and former employer wont reissue it.

My former employer said he mailed my last paycheck 2 weeks ago and it hasn’t shown up. Now he says that it was a USPS money order and he is refusing to write me a check. He says he sent it and it’s my problem that I didn’t get it.

Asked on August 11, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Ohio


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

In Ohio an employer is requied to pay the employee their final paycheck on the next regualryl scheduled paydate or within 15 days, whichever is sooner.  That is section 4113.15 of the Ohio Revised Code Annotated.  If you have not received it - regardless of the reason - you can file a claim for unpaid wages with the Ohio Department of Labor, Wage and Hour Division. Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption