exposure to foreclosure complaint

UPDATED: May 10, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 10, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

exposure to foreclosure complaint

My sister and I are on the title to her townhouse, we never changed the title to just her name because of my sister’s ways. It was a verbal agreement that the townhouse was hers and I had another home (both purchased by my deceased parents 30 years ago)I recently found out that a complaint of foreclosure and breach of contract was filed from the townhouse’s association. What is my exposure to this, will I have a chance to explain to the court about my situation or will I more than likely have to pay 1/2?

Asked on May 10, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Arizona


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Nope. Verbal agreements do not apply to certain transactions.  This based on the Statute of Frauds.  The first and foremost is Land.  You needed to quit claim the property to her or have her buy you out.  Now, guess what? The foreclosure will wind up on your credit report. 

Immediately contact a real estate lawyer to fix this situation (whether you need to cough up the money) or something.  Your explanation "because of your sister's ways" isn't sufficent for a court.  If your sister is in any way mentally incompetent, the court may actually require you to take over and be responsible for everything. 

For a real estate lawyer, try www.attorneypages.com.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption