What is elder law?

Elder law is an area of law that focuses on the legal needs of the elderly. These needs generally include retirement planning, life insurance, medical costs, and estate planning. Consult an elder law attorney with questions about elder law, retirement planning, or suspected elder abuse.

What is an estate?

An estate consists of all the property a person owns or controls. The estate property may be in his or her sole name, held in a partnership, in a joint ownership arrangement, or through a trust. Estate property also includes all other monies that would be generated upon the person’s death, such as through life insurance.

Why hire an estate planning attorney?

This article focuses on the considerations a person should take into account when deciding whether to hire an estate planning attorney to draft a will. Whether hiring an attorney is the right approach to creating a will depends on a number of factors such as assets, business ownership, medical matters, or whether children are involved.

What is estate planning?

A clearly defined definition of estate planning, including information about wills, trusts and other tools used to plan an estate of any size. Click further for many more articles.

When should I start my estate plan?

The best time to start an estate plan is now, while you have the capacity to do so. Estate planning isn’t only about deciding what to do if you die; it’s about making plans to take care of yourself, your affairs, and your loved ones if you should become temporarily or permanently disabled or incapacitated.