How to proceed with a lawsuit for unlawful interferencewith a business and theft of proprietary information?

UPDATED: Jan 26, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 26, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to proceed with a lawsuit for unlawful interferencewith a business and theft of proprietary information?

I contracted with a e-commerce company to redesign and host our site. Was doing $1M per year. Paid an upfront fee and a monthly fee. After about 2 years I found they were using our product database without our permission to sell our products on their sites. Company admitted to this. Have copies of e-mails, code used to access our database, and background information on founders, employees and investors. Have documents to prove that rather than adhere to their contract they were actually trying to run us out of business, which they did. Ruined financially.I need to speak with a litigation attorney on acontingency arrangement. In DeKalb County, GA.

Asked on January 26, 2011 under Business Law, Georgia


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

You can sue the company for breach of contract.  In addition to breach of contract as a cause of action (claim) in your lawsuit, you should include a separate cause of action for interference with contract if they interfered with existing contracts you had with other customers.  If there weren't any existing customers, then your cause of action would be for interference with prospective advantage for using your product database and selling your product on their sites.

Your damages (the amount you are seeking to recover in your lawsuit) would be your lost income.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption