Does an employer have to pay you for sick/vacation time if it was approved but then you were terminated?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Does an employer have to pay you for sick/vacation time if it was approved but then you were terminated?

At my former workplace, you were able to accrue 40 hours of Paid Time Off as a 2nd year employee. Randomly, without notice, they changed the handbook and made it that veteran employees, me, will get 24 hours of sick time/vacation a year capped off and 16 hours of additional PTO, since they changed the manual and us veteran employees noticed it. After I asked for all 40 hours to be onto my next paycheck, my manager said there is no issue with redeeming the accrued time off and then terminated me the following day.

She will only give me the 16 hours of

Asked on December 29, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Arizona


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Your state does not require pay out of accrued but unused paid time off (PTO) when you are terminated unless there was a written employment policy (e.g. in an employee handbook or manual) or written contract requiring it. Without such a policy statement or contract, they may choose to no pay for unused time.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption