do i need to still have my paycheck go to the same account?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

do i need to still have my paycheck go to the same account?

getting a divorce and i want to know if i need to still have my paycheck going to the same account or can i open a different account that my wife can’t have access to?

Asked on August 23, 2018 under Family Law, Nebraska


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you can put it into a new account. That will NOT however stop the money from being counted as part of overall marital funds for purposes of dividing up money and assets in divorce; and if you deprive your wife of support during the divorce (i.e. while the case is going on)--assuming, that is, you provided support to her during marriage (i.e. you earned more or were the sole breadwinner)--she will be able to get a court order if she wants, requiring you to provide money to her. Therefore, doing this may not really benefit you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption