Do I have to pay my 19yr’s health ins because she lives with me and I make more than current limits

UPDATED: Jul 2, 2016

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 2, 2016Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have to pay my 19yr’s health ins because she lives with me and I make more than current limits

I make more than current limits.

Asked on July 2, 2016 under Insurance Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

1) You have to inform Medicare of your income immediately, as soon as the job starts.
2) No, you don't need to pay for your 19-year-old daughter's insurance. You are *allowed* to keep her on your insurance plan until she is 26 in some situations, but are not required to do so; once she is 18, you are not obligated to insurer her except if there was an agreement between you and your daughter's other parent relating to custody and support which contractually required you to insure her.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption