Do I have to pay for mechanic workthat Ididn’t authorize?

UPDATED: Mar 7, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 7, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have to pay for mechanic workthat Ididn’t authorize?

I brought my car in for a clutch repair. When the mechanic called me, he told me he also went ahead and replaced the stabalizer rods because they had rotted off. I did not authorize that work. When I went to pick up my car however, after haggling with him and getting him to drop the price on the clutch itself, I signed the bill. Is it too late now for me to do anything? Would I have had a right to do anything before?

Asked on March 7, 2012 under General Practice, Massachusetts


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

It is absolutely too late to do anything at ths point about unauthorized repair. What you did by negotiating the final price on the entire work done could be considered and is probably considered to be an accord and satisfaction of the original debt owed or what you believed was not the original debt owed. If the stabilizer rods were something that could cause the car to get into an accident (for you to lose control) then it may very well could have been within his authority to do the work but he should have at least contacted you first.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption