Do I have standing to sue bank, as Trustee, for mismanagement of my mother’s trusts?

UPDATED: Sep 14, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 14, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have standing to sue bank, as Trustee, for mismanagement of my mother’s trusts?

First Trust was set up under my father’s Will after his death 31 years ago. Upon settlement, the Trust had not appreciated although the S&P 500 has gone up over 10-fold. There was no particular guidance from the Will and she had more than adequate dividend income from her own stocks. Second Trust under agreement whereby my mother placed her assets, primarily stocks 21 years ago. Several million dollars had dwindled to less than 600K, and despite my and my siblings urging they failed to diversify as her assets were heavily concentrated in financials.

Asked on September 14, 2011 under Estate Planning, North Carolina


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss and for the ensuing problems.  I think that you and your siblings should consult with an estate attorney in your area who needs to read the trust in its entirety to see if there are any limiting provisions written in to it and to see how those provisions match up to state law on the conduct of the trustee.  Generally speaking, the issue of gross negligence (as well as fraud and willful misconduct) is carved out in case law and is very case specific.  You need to compel the trustee to file an accounting as a first step toward scrutiny by the court.  You have a huge amount of money here in this case.  You need to check out your rights.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption