When does that statute of limitations run out regarding a personal injury?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

When does that statute of limitations run out regarding a personal injury?

I worked as an underground coal miner. In 6 years ago, a boss and an electrician cut off a lock in a belt drive

while I was working on it. It started the belt and pulled me about 30 feet. I had major injury to my right arm. Since then I have had 6 surgeries. I have not been able to work and have been denied Social Security, which I am still fighting to receive. Can I sue the company at this time or is there a statute of limitations?

Asked on December 8, 2018 under Personal Injury, Alaska


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately for you, the statute of limitations for personal injury is a short one, especially in your state (Alaska): it is only 2 years. Those two years from from when you are injured, so if you were hurt 6 years ago, you are long out of time to sue.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption