What are my rights regarding the failure of a dental implant?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights regarding the failure of a dental implant?

My dentist placed a dental implant which failed a month later. The dentist said that just happens sometimes and will not refund my money. I was concerned and had another dentist check the site and was advised the implant failed due to severe periodontist disease and I was not a candidate for the implant Do I have any .recourse?

Asked on March 20, 2017 under Malpractice Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If it was negligent, or unreasonably careless medical practice, to give you the implant due to your periodontic disease, this may have been malpractice, and you may be entitled to compensation regarding additional medical costs (e.g. to correct the situation) you incur; and/or if this has a major negative effect on your life lasing, say, months or more, you may be entitled to some amount for "pain and suffering." 
1) You'd have to be able to prove it was wrong (e.g. careless) to give you the implant;
2) To do this, you'd have to hire a medical/dental expert--such as the other dentist--to write a report and also, at need, testify for you in court and/or at a deposition. This can cost thousands of dollars, and you'd have to bear the cost; therefore, it is not clear that this is economically worthwhile to bring a case, unless you have very severe, very long lasting problems from the implant and/or *very* large out-of-pocket medical bills.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption