How can a New York marijuana lawyer help me?

An experienced New York criminal attorney can help you defend against a marijuana possession charge. A good attorney can help you get the New York marijuana possession charges against you dismissed, reduced, or help you receive a lesser penalty than you might otherwise have.

Can I be charged with possession of marijuana if I’m a passenger in someone’s car and marijuana is found? What does’possession’ mean under New York’s marijuana laws?

You can be charged with possession of marijuana in New York if it is found in a car in which you are a passenger, but you have a good defense if it was not found on your person and did not belong to you. Alternatively, a driver of a car with marijuana found inside can be charged with possession in New York, even if the marijuana was not theirs.

Marijuana and New York Drug Courts

New YorMarijuana and New York Drug Courtsk is currently expanding its drug treatment court system with the goal of making a drug treatment court available in every jurisdiction in the state. Drug courts are a relatively new part of our judicial system, with the first ones being introduced in the 1990s.

New York Medical Marijuana Laws

Like most states, New York does not allow marijuana to be used for medical purposes. However, two bills for legalizing medicinal marijuana, A. 9016 and S. 4041-B, were proposed in 2009. The bills enjoy bipartisan support and are currently still progressing through the legislative process. If passed into law, they will allow medical marijuana to be dispensed from designated facilities in New York. Patients still will not be allowed to grow their own marijuana. Even if the bills do become law, marijuana would still be illegal under federal law.