What to do if there are cockroaches in my apartment?

UPDATED: Mar 10, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if there are cockroaches in my apartment?

For the past 3 months I’ve been finding cockroaches in my kitchen my bedroom and living room. I’ve told the landlord to come and check it out he said he would do so and he did but it’s still happening. I’ve told him more than 7 times already and he just sends some guy to spray but cheap spray. I just would like to know what are my rights for this situation?

Asked on March 10, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You need to carefully read your written lease concerning any issues of vermin assuming you have a written lease in that its terms and conditions control the obligations the landlord owes you and vice versa. Potentially your lease will set forth what is to be done concerning the cockroach issue.

If it does not and you are not happy with the landlord's response, I suggest that you contact the local health department about your options and arrange for an inspection of your rental. If a citation is issued regarding the infestation, your landlord most likely will be required to rectify the problem.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption