Can a Class B misdemeanor be expunged?

UPDATED: Jul 29, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 29, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a Class B misdemeanor be expunged?

My sentence was 1 year probation, no fines.

Asked on July 29, 2014 under Criminal Law, Iowa


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

It is my understanding that the ability to expunge records in Iowa is extremely limited. These are if the offense was an eligible alcohol-related offense, or you obtained deferred judgment at the time of your conviction and successfully completed probation. The deferred judgement happens at the time of the sentencing. The court defers judgment and place a defendant on probation rather than imposing a sentence. If the defendant successfully completes probation, the defendant is discharged and no conviction is entered. The defendant may then petition to have the related record expunged -- that is, made inaccessible to the general public. (Iowa Code §§ 907.3 and 907.9.) Is this what happened to you?  If so then you can expunge. If not you may not be able to. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption