Can’t Make Court Date for MIP

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can’t Make Court Date for MIP

I received an MIP in the state of Kansas. Unfortunately, due to
personal family reasons, I had to move halfway across the country. I
have a court date set for about 1 month from now but I do not know if
I’ll be able to afford to fly back for it and I really hate to spend
350 on a flight all the fees of the MIP/hopeful diversion. Is
there anyway I can get out of attending court just handle it from my
new state? Thank you.

Asked on September 17, 2017 under Criminal Law, Kansas


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Call the court and ask the court clerk if you can make a telephone appearance instead of being physically present in the courtroom.
If the court allows you to make a telephone appearance, ask the court clerk for the appropriate document(s) you will need to request the telephone appearance and the deadline for filing those documents.
If you miss the filing deadline or don't file the appropriate documents, your request for a telephone appearance will be denied.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption