Can an employer a national store chain cut your pay by $3 less an hour after you’ve been there for 12 years?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can an employer a national store chain cut your pay by $3 less an hour after you’ve been there for 12 years?

They say they are eliminating my job title Photo Specialist but I only got $1 raise to get to that title, so shouldn’t they just be cutting my pay by $1? I would be doing the exact same duties as I am now.

Asked on August 24, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If you have a written employment contract including a union contract which guaranties your salary, you may enforce it. Without a contract, however, you are an employee at will that means, among other things, that your employer may change your title, duties, responsibilities, etc. at will, at any time, for any reason, and in doing so, is not required to be fair or consistent. d on what you write, it is within an employer's discretion to eliminate a job title and, in the process, reduce an employee's wages--even reducing it by more than the raise which the employee received to get that title in the first place. It appears that what you describe is legal.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption