Can my son be evicted for being a registered sex offender after signing a leaseif the landlord already knew about it?

UPDATED: Nov 4, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my son be evicted for being a registered sex offender after signing a leaseif the landlord already knew about it?

My son is being evicted from his apartment for being a registered sex offender. The lease says nothing about this and before he signed the lease he told the landlord about it. He has lived there several years already and his lease is not up for another 6 months. Can they legally evict him for that?

Asked on November 4, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If the reason for the landlord's eviction if your son is that he is solely a registered sex offender and nothing more (he is current on his lease and has not breached its terms), most likely the landlord's attempted eviction of him is illegal.

The reason if this opinion is that many states have laws prohibiting these types of evictions against registered sex offenders. I recommend that your son consult with a landlord tenant attorney about the situation he is in.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption