Can my husband from Mexico take my children from me?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my husband from Mexico take my children from me?

I married an illegal man at the age of 20. I married for love and he married me to fix his papers

for his green card. I found out that he was cheating on me with a 16 year old girl. I wanted to divorce him then but I just had my baby and was confused. I want him in jail for rape but he said that I’m the one that’s crazy and he is going to take my children from me.

Asked on June 6, 2016 under Family Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Take the baby, go to your family's house, and then start looking for a divorce attorney.  Until a divorce is filed or an order is otherwise entered, then both of you will have equal rights to the baby.  This means that if he comes to you and wants to take th baby, he cannot forcibly take the baby from you and go to Mexico.  You would have to consent for him to take the baby for a visit.  If you allow him to take the baby before aregular, temporary, or final order is entered in the court, then he will not be legally obligated to bring the baby back to you.  You want an order in place that gives you more rights to the baby than him.
This baby is a new born.  Most judges are reluctant to remove a small child from it's mother that's otherwise a good mom.  So... you just need to be a good mom. 
Many abusers (physical or emotional) will use the threat of 'I'll take the kid away from you' as the threat to keep their wife or girlfriend in check.  If he is already using this type of manipulative crap on you, he will continue with this behavior until he gets counseling.  Some abusers never change despite repeated promises otherwise.
If you do not have family to assist you, get to a shelter or church organization to help you get on your feet.  For legal assistant, arrange for consultations with a couple of attorneys.  Call the local bar and your local district clerk for information about any legal assistance programs in your area.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption