Can my employer make my co-worker and Ipay for medical supplies/medications that were stolen due to our negligence?

UPDATED: Jul 18, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 18, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my employer make my co-worker and Ipay for medical supplies/medications that were stolen due to our negligence?

We are the employees with keys and we are responsible for securing the medical supply room nightly. One night we both assumed that one another locked it up before we left. But it was left unlocked and over $1000 worth of medical supplies were stolen.

Asked on July 18, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Georgia


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Actually you employer can do this. Unless this violates existing company policy or violate an employment/union agreement your employer's actions are perfectlyy permissible from a legal standpoint. Also, discrimination must not have playeda role in your employer's decision to charge you. In at will employment an employer may set the terms of employment as it see fit. In turn, an employee can choose to work for their employer or not. However, unless you previously consented (possibly in your employment application or if you signed your employee handbook, etc), your employer cannot not deduct these amounts from your paycheck. It will have to make reimbursement arrangements with you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption