Can my employer change my insurance plan without informing me?

UPDATED: Aug 9, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 9, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my employer change my insurance plan without informing me?

Asked on August 9, 2011 New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

No, your employer cannot change your insurance plan at work without first advising that there will be a change of insurance carriers. A change of carriers could necessitate issues with dependents being able to qualify for the insurance policy.

If an employer cancels an insurance policy for his employees, he or she is required to provide them with written notice of the intent to cancel the policy at least 60 days before the effective date of the policy's termination date. It is prudent for the employer to have the employee date and sign the notice of termination of the insurance policy.

The 60 day notice period allows the employee to shop new coverage for him or her and their family.

Good question.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption