Can I take someone to small claims court for money owed for 3 years now?

UPDATED: Aug 7, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 7, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I take someone to small claims court for money owed for 3 years now?

The only proof I have is about 20 messages on facebook. Is that enough proof?

Asked on August 7, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Pennsylvania


Andrew Goldberg

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Yes, 2 years is well short of the statute of limitations for breach of contract. Yes again, the 20 facebook messages can be introduced into evidence to establish the existence of a contract  (  or loan  ) and the amount owed back. At the District Court level you have to telephone the Court to see the maximum jurisdictional amount. Also, you should file your  Civil Complaint in the District Court where the defendant resides or where his business is located ( if it was a loan to the business ). If a sheriffs' sale or execution is necessary, it will be easier and cheaper.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption