Can I sue my dental insurance for not paying what they owe?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue my dental insurance for not paying what they owe?

My fiance has been to the dentist twice in the past year. The dentist as well as my fiance have called the insurance company several times and they say every time that they will process their payment within the week. It has almost been a year since the first dentist visit and they still haven’t paid what they owe. My fiance has also contacted the person in charge of benefits for his employer and he said he would

handle it, but my fiance hasn’t heard from him even.after e-mailing him asking for the status.

Asked on April 12, 2016 under Insurance Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Yes, a person may sue their insurer for breach of contract (that's what an insurance policy fundamentally is: a contract) for not paying benefits when, under the terms of the contract and the facts/ circumstances, they should have paid. To win, the person needs to show that under the facts as they existed and the plain terms of the policy, payment was required.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption