Can I sue my employer regarding his affair with my wife and the loss of my job/company provided home?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue my employer regarding his affair with my wife and the loss of my job/company provided home?

Recently I found out that my boss and my wife are having an affair. The house I live in is a part of the compensation I get for the work I do. As a result I am essentially becoming homeless and

unemployed because of this. I’m wondering if I would be in any type of legal position to sue my former boss since he is a member of the family that owns the farm I worked and lived on.

Asked on May 14, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Wisconsin


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

No, you cannot sue over this. Employment is employment at will; an employer can terminate your employment (and therefore take away any housing you received as part of it) at any time, for any reason whatsoever--including that he is having an affair with your wife. Since you have no right to a job and he has the right to terminate you, you have no grounds to sue him or his business. You may, however, wish to consult with a family law attorney about divorcing and seeking assets or support in the divorce from your wife.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption