Can I still get my share of a house me and my wife bought together

UPDATED: Sep 1, 2018

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 1, 2018Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I still get my share of a house me and my wife bought together

We own a house but we
are getting divorced
I promised my wife I
wouldn’t make her sell
the house until some
time in the future
? Can I still get my
share after we get an
absolute decree

Asked on September 1, 2018 under Family Law, Alaska


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

So I think what you want is to allow her to stay in the house until some time period (and she will be paying all the bills and the mortgage, although this does not absolve you of having to pay with the lender) and then when it sells you get your share (half I assume).  Yes, you can but you MUST HAVE A STIPULATION OF SETTLEMENT that states this and both of you have to sign it.  Please get legal help asap. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption