Can I return a car to a private seller?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I return a car to a private seller?

I bought a car with a clean NV title. I
later found that it had been declared a
total loos due to theft in Utah. Nevada
originally issued a branded title in his
name, but this guy somehow got them
to issue a clean title. The car also
needed the onboard computer to be
reset in order to be smog checked. I
had to do a drive cycle. When I did,
the check engine light came. Smog
check guy said it looked like the battery
had need disconnected in order to
override the check engine light
temporarily. Do I have any recourse?

Asked on March 2, 2019 under Business Law, Nevada


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You can sue him for fraud: for miserepresentating (lying about or concealing) important facts known to him, such as the nature of the title, the prior theft, and the override of the onboard computer, in order to get you to buy the car. Fraud provides a basis to void, or undo, a contract: you would return the car and get your money back.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption