Can I keep my tenant’s boyfriendand father of their childrenfrom coming on to my property?

UPDATED: Aug 22, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 22, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I keep my tenant’s boyfriendand father of their childrenfrom coming on to my property?

I have a great tenant who always pays on time but her boyfriend has forced himself in.. He hasstolen 2 of my A/C units and other items of value belonging to me. She told me he did it but is afraid of him. I handed him a letter saying that I did not want him on my property but his kids live there. Do I have to evict everyone or can I have him arrested for trespassing? I really feel bad for my tenant but I can’t put up with the boyfriend any longer. My lease states that anyone not on the lease can be removed by law enforcement.

Asked on August 22, 2011 Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You are wise to read your written lease with the tenant who you like in that its terms set forth the obligations and duties you owe to her and vice versa in the absence of conflicting state law on an issue. If your lease with the tenant precludes anyone not on the lease from being on the premises and if the boyfriend who you do not want to be on the premises is a problem, then it appears legally you have a basis to keep him off the complex from what you have written.

The best way to accomplish this for your and your tenant's safety and peace of mind is to hire a lawyer to write a letter to the boyfriend requesting that he stay off site of your property setting forth the reasons for the request.

If he refuses and still shows up, advise your attorney. You could end up having a "trespass" action against the boyfriend and possibly a basis for a restraining order application to keep him off your property which could be granted by the superior court in the county where your property is located.

As a landlord, under the law you have an obligation to try and protect your tenants from undesirable elements that you become aware of. If the boyfriend has stolen from you, he very well could steal from your tenants.

Good luck.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption