Can I get sued from my former roommates in Providence RI if I live in Chicago IL?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I get sued from my former roommates in Providence RI if I live in Chicago IL?

I used to live with 3 roommates in
Providence RI. The lights and gas were
both in my name so they would pay me
every month their share. So when I moved
out I canceled the bill and another
roommate put it in his name. But they
credited me the entire bill and charged
him the full bill from when he moved
July – Nov. 1, which was approximately
450. Can my roommates sue me if i dont
send them that money so they can pay
their bill? In the lease it doesn’t say
anything about utilities. It’s the
tenants responsibility.

Asked on December 5, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If you had an agreement, even if only an oral (unwritten) one, that you and your roommates would share the cost of the utilities, then if you were credited more than you proportionately should have been, or they had to pay more than they proportionately should have paid, under the terms of that agreement, they could sue you to get their share of the money. If you are in another state, they might not bother doing so, since suing cross-state is more difficult and expensive--but legally, they could sue if they chose, based on your agreement regarding utilities.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption