CanI get my sex offender conviction removed off the registration list?

UPDATED: Aug 25, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 25, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

CanI get my sex offender conviction removed off the registration list?

11 years ago my boyfriend and I were caught by my parents having sex. He was 18 and I was 15. They pressed charges and he was charged with a 4th degree consensual sex offender. We have always stay connected through these years and now we have a 3 year old son. It’s making life extremely hard with this on his background to simply live life.

Asked on August 25, 2011 Michigan


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

It is unfortunate that young adults do not realize just how much trouble that they can get in when they date minors.  Your situation is living proof  that tings can continue to haunt you well in to adulthood.  I think that it would be best for him to seek consultation from an attorney in your area to see if he is eligible to petition the court to be removed as a sex offender.  I can not tell from your question is he was convicted as a Tier 1, Tier 2 or Tier 3 sex offender.  Here is the law in Michigan: Tier 1 offenders must register for 15 years. Tier 2 offenders must register for 25 years.
Tier 3offenders must register for life.  Now, it is worth mentioning that the Michigan Court of Appeals as well as other law makers are leaning toward reform when it comes to the registry in Michigan.  Your boyfriend should contact the court in which they were convicted to determine if they are eligible to petition for removal.  But also I need to say that he needs to be careful around your son while he is registered.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption