Can I do anything regarding wrongful termination if I just lost my job after stellar performance reports and positive interactions with my superior?

UPDATED: Oct 6, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 6, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I do anything regarding wrongful termination if I just lost my job after stellar performance reports and positive interactions with my superior?

I was placed on administrative leave while my company looked into me being accused of hanging up the phone line on customers. I met with HR and denied that I ever purposely hung up on anyone. After being on leave for 5 days they called me in and terminated me. Up to this point I had worked at the company for 9 months and had never been warned or reprimanded for anything. I had nothing but positive discussions with my manager about my future as a leader in the company and had just had a similar meeting a week prior to all of this. I wonder if anything can be done?

Asked on October 6, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, North Carolina


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Did you have a union agreement or employment contract. If not, then unless your discharge in some way violated company policy or constituted some form of actionable discrimination, you have no claim. While seemingly unfair, your termination does not appear to have been wrongful. In most instances an employer has a great deal of discretion in setting the terms and conditions of employment. This includes why and how an employee can be dismissed; basically an employee can be fired for any reason or no reason at all, with or without notice.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption