How do judgements and garnishments work regarding time limits?

UPDATED: Aug 23, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 23, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do judgements and garnishments work regarding time limits?

I bought a car and did voluntary repossession 7 years ago. They just started garnishing me for it 10 months ago. Had the statue of limitations expired?

Asked on August 23, 2011 Virginia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If there is a wage garnishment on your wages resulting from a voluntary repossession of an automobile that you turned in seven years or so ago, then most likely there is a judgment against you. Do you remember being personally served with a summons and complaint by the lender concerning your loan for this car?

If there is an old judgment against you concerning this loan, the chances of you being able to have it set aside are remote even with any claims of statute of limitations defenses. You need to go down to the court house and pull up the complaint and resulting judgment to get further clarification on the subject.

The time limit for a judgment being good in most states is ten years. Judgments typically can be renewed once for another ten year period before their expiration. The judgment against you most likely has not expired.

You might consider calling your county bar association to see if it has a program to assist people in answering questions like you have. Some county bar associations do provide such services.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption