Can he go to jail?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can he go to jail?

If I pay someone out of state to fix my Xbox 360, by sending him the Xbox through FedEx but he steals it instead of fixing it and sending it back, can he goes to jail? He stays in Florida by the way.

Asked on September 6, 2016 under Criminal Law, Georgia


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

The answer is maybe.  By itself, this would most likely be considered a misdemeanor... which means that if law enforcement could find him to put charges on him that it would only result in a short jail sentence.  You really need to contact your local law enforcement agency and work with them not only on the theft angle, but the fraud angle, of your case.  If the investigation develops such that this is an ongoing scheme of multiple victims, then law enforcement may be able to aggravate this to a felony offense... thus a stiffer potential sentence.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption