Can Employers really Suspend over raising my voice?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can Employers really Suspend over raising my voice?

Employer suspended me for one day with no pay, I never hit anything.
Maybe raised my voice a bit. Never got a warning before. My boss has it
out for me and I don’t know why. Other people in the company raise their
voices at times and nothing happens to them. Can
I do anything legally?

Asked on April 1, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Most work arrangments are "at will". This means that a company can set the conditions of employment much as it sees fit. This includeds who to suspend (or even termiate) and why. In fact, an employee can be fired for any reason or no reason at all, with or without notice. Therefore unless this action violates company policy, the terms of a union agreement or employment contract, or constitutes some form of legally actionable discrimination, it is perfectly permissable under the law.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption