Can an employee be held responsible

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can an employee be held responsible

I work at a car dealership, at the end
of the day I was putting vehicles back
in place when I accidentally backed into
another vehicle. 500 was deducted from
my wages for the accident. Is that

Asked on August 7, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Tennessee


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If you are at fault in damaging your employer's property, you are as liable or responsible for the damage and its costs as you would be if you damaged your neighbor's property: there is no law requiring an employer to absorb this cost for you. If you back into another vehicle, you were almost certainly at fault: the driver operating in reverse is generally held to be at fault, since they have the obligation to make sure they have enough room and everything is clear before they back up. And if you hit a stationary or parked vehicle, you are definitely liable: the law considers it careless to hit a stationary object.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption