Can a price be raised after a contract is signed?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a price be raised after a contract is signed?

We signed a contract for our son with special needs to attend a PACE type program in Chicago life skills. The cost was $41,000 per year and we got a $1000 discount because we paid the deposit and committed early. Now they are raising the price by $2000 saying that the cost of housing has gone up.

Can they change the price after we signed the contract to attend?

Asked on April 24, 2017 under Business Law, Illinois


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

The price cannot be altered after the contract has been signed.  Price is one of the essential terms of a contract.
You can sue the life skills program for breach of contract.
If the program claims it made a mistake in the price, the contract is still enforceable at the price when you signed the contract ($41,000 per year) because you had no knowledge of the mistake or reason to know of the mistake.  Therefore, the contract is enforceable against the life skills program.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption