Can a parish charge me as a fugitive if they pick me up on a bench warrant issued by another parish?

UPDATED: Aug 20, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 20, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a parish charge me as a fugitive if they pick me up on a bench warrant issued by another parish?

I received a speeding ticket 9 years ago from Ascension Parish. However I was only passing through I have never lived in that Parish. Well I missed 1 court date and they sent a bench warrant to Jefferson Parish (which is where I lived). Jefferson arish came to my mom’s house and arrested me and submitted PTO the state criminal background system that I was a fugitive. is that legal? How am I a fugitive if I never lived in that parish in the first place. I didn’t flee I just didn’t have transportation to get to court on that particular date. What should I do? I can’t get job

Asked on August 20, 2011 Louisiana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you received a speeding ticket years ago in one jurisdiction of Louisiana, failed to attend the court proceeding regarding the ticket resulting in the issuance of a bench warrant for your arrest, that jurisdiction of Louisiana can obtain assistance from another separate jursdiction in the same state to arrest you on this outstanding bench warrant.

This is apparently what happened and the arrest of you is entirely legal. The reason you are deemed a "fugitive" of the jurisdiction of the parish where you received a speeding ticket and failed to appear is that you were in that parish where the ticket was issued against you. That parish has jurisdiction over you since you were in it when the incident happened.

You need to attend the court hearing for the release of your assumed bond and take care of that speeding ticket you received nine (9) years ago.

Good luck.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption