Can a high school principal take away my car if a friend of mine drove recklessly in the school parking lot?

UPDATED: Mar 27, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 27, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a high school principal take away my car if a friend of mine drove recklessly in the school parking lot?

Is he allowed to tell me im never allowed to drive to school again?

Asked on March 27, 2015 under Business Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

1) No, he may *not* take away your car. There is a word for when one person takes a car belonging to another: theft. If the principal takes your car, you can report him for theft and sue him for its return or any damage done to him.

2) He can't tell you not to drive *to* school, but he can tell you not to drive on school property, including the school parking lot--that is something that a person in charge of property (like the way the principal is in charge of the school property) can do--tell certain persons not to drive in or on it. But you could drive to a nearby street, park there, and walk--he has no control over non-school property.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption