Can a doctor refuse to see me because Im a recovering addict?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a doctor refuse to see me because Im a recovering addict?

I went and seen a urology doctor and when I first
met her the only thing out of her mouth was So ur
an addict? Well at first I let it go but I went to make a
apt with her and the receptionist New Link Destination
ld me I had to
have permission first from the office manager and I
was like WHAT? Then a week later the nurse called
asked a bunch of ???? And then told me the
reception lady was gonna call and let me make an
apt but its been 3 weeks and Ive called them and all
they said was that I had to talk with the office
manager what can I do I feel like the doctor is
discriminating Against me all because Im a
recovering addict

Asked on June 19, 2018 under Malpractice Law, Oregon


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Yes, a doctor can refuse to see you because you are recovering addict. A doctor is--besides being a doctor--a private business; a business can refuse to see any person so long as it is not discriminating against a protected group, class, or category (such as against someone due to his/her race). But being an addict or a recovered addict is not protected; they can refuse to see you for this reason.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption