Can I use bankruptcy to protect my assets?

It is possible to use bankruptcy to protect your assets depending on the type of bankruptcy you file. If you file Chapter 7 bankruptcy you’ll have to relinquish your non-exempt assets, but even then you can protect certain assets with bankruptcy by converting non-exempt assets to exempt ones.

Are my retirement assets, college savings plans, and asset protection trusts protected under the bankruptcy law?

Money rolled over from a pension into an IRA is also protected. However the law limits protection for funds in regular and Roth IRAs to $1,283,025, although this cap can be increased by the bankruptcy court. Contributions placed in a section 529 college education savings plan or in a section 530 education IRA at least 2 years prior filing for bankruptcy are off limits to creditors. An asset protection trust can be established under the laws of Alaska, Delaware, Nevada, Rhode Island and Utah.

What is redemption in a bankruptcy case?

Bankruptcy redemption is an option in a Chapter 7 bankruptcy case that may allow you to keep a vehicle or other asset that is acting as collateral for secured debt. However, redemption may not be an option for all Chapter 7 debtors because it requires them come up with cash up front. Consult a Chapter 7 bankruptcy attorney prior to making a decision about bankruptcy redemption.

What happens to a tax refund in bankruptcy?

A tax refund in bankruptcy is automatically considered the property of the bankruptcy estate. However, if you are expecting a tax refund while you are in bankruptcy, there are ways to keep the refund from going directly to the hands of your creditors.