If the at fault party’s car insurance company has requested an authorization to my medical record, should I give them it?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If the at fault party’s car insurance company has requested an authorization to my medical record, should I give them it?

About 3 weeks ago, I was on intersection going straight through and I was hit by a car turning left. My motorcycle went down with me and I injured my left knee. Now the at-fault driver’s car insurer is requesting access to my medical records. What should I do?

Asked on August 31, 2016 under Accident Law, Ohio


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

This is standard operating procedure.  The at-fault party's insurance carrier needs your medical bills and medical reports to evaluate your personal injury claim regarding your knee injury.  Compensation for the medical bills is straight reimbursement.  The medical reports will be used to determine compensation for pain and suffering which is an amount in addition to the medical bills.  Therefore, you should sign the authorization for release of your medical records.
The insurance company also wants to find out if you have had any pre-existing injury to your knee which could adversely affect your current personal injury claim.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption