Am I liable if someone slips in front of my house?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I liable if someone slips in front of my house?

My HOA association painted the tapered curbs
around the assocation over the summer and
they made the spot in front of my doorsteps a
no parking area and painted the curb red. On
Monday it rained hard for the first time this year
and i actually slipped on the now slippery
painted curb and sprained my wrist. I am
worried that my kids, wife, or anyone walking
up to my house could slip just like I did and i
will be held liable. The paint is just the curb but
the curb isnt square it tapers creating a flat
convex surface that is now significantly more
slippery than it was before when it was just

Asked on January 10, 2018 under Personal Injury, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If someone slips and falls on your property, you are liable whether the person is a guest, visitor or trespasser.
Your liability will include the injured person's medical bills, pain and suffering which is an amount in addition to the medical  bills, and wage loss.
If someone slips and falls on your property, refer the matter to your homeowner's insurance carrier.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption