Am I entitled compensation for damage to my car by theft when it was parked in a mandatory lot?

UPDATED: May 27, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 27, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I entitled compensation for damage to my car by theft when it was parked in a mandatory lot?

My employer requires me to park in a lot behind my local mall while I work. Recently my car had the driver and passenger windows broken and a tablet was stolen while I was working. This had occurred the 2 days prior to multiple cars as well. Am I entitled any compensation for the damages to my car? The personal tablet was stolen as well but I am most interested in the damages.

Asked on May 27, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Montana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

No, your employer is not responsible for the criminal actions of third parties not under its control. Unless you could show that it was someone working for or associated with the employer, whom the employer knew or should have know was likely to do this, and the employer, knowing that, did not take any action, you would not seem to have a viable case.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption